Friday, September 3, 2010

My New Wildest Dream

Back in high school, my friend who happened to be the editor-in-chief of our yearbook wrote my profile information beside my lousy graduation picture. At the end of that tiny information, it reads:

Her wildest dream: To sing and dance with Backstreet Boys.

My editor-in-chief friend knew how much i loathed boy bands in the 90s.

I didn't hate her my dear friend when i finally saw our yearbook. I just decided from that day on that i will never ever show that yearbook to anyone. Not even to my future husband.

Last night, i was watching a feature on Nobel Laureates on DW-TV. The recent Nobel Laureate Meeting that happened in July was the highlight of the feature. During the feature, a young Asian guy (not sure if he's Indian) was being interviewed about his experience at the prestigious meeting. From his face i could tell how overwhelmed he was at being there, especially when he ran into his Nobel Laureate idol and had a chit-chat with her (i remember how i blushed when i first saw Kenneth Cobonpue and Cecile Van Straten). When i was watching him talk i was crying inside. In my heart i was telling myself, "someday a Filipino will be in that meeting."

So now i found my next wildest dream: to be invited to a Nobel Laureate meeting. I always say that the sciences is my waterloo. I don't know why, Science just never liked me. But if ever in my wildest dream i get to be invited to this prestigious gathering, i'd tell my colleagues, "you know, i used to memorize the periodic table when i was in sophomore year." Joke lang. But seriously, after all the hostage drama and hopelessness in my country, someday, someday, a Filipino will make it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was not me who wrote your profile, it was tina atanacio :) i wrote lee's profile.

Tinay said...

hahah! mih, all the while i thought it was you. thanks for telling me. sorry :)