Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My 3 Minutes With Kenneth Cobonpue

I once got inside an elevator with Diether Ocampo, alone. I know he's cute and all, but no, not a single butterfly in my stomach.

On another occasion, my trip to Kenneth Cobonpue's office is a walk to remember. Thanks to our friend Patet, one of Kenneth's talented graphic artists, who invited us to Kenneth's showroom.

On our way out of the showroom where i went to see all Kenneth's creations, i asked Patet if kenneth was there inside his office. I said i just wanted to meet him, my idol. So Patet went to check on him. A few seconds later, there came kenneth in a black collared shirt. I knew i blushed the moment i saw him. I remember reaching out to shake his hand even though i was still a few meters away from him. I even remember how icy cold and sweaty my hands were. I was so nervous.

Then we got introduced. In fact, with a nervous smile and a twisted tongue i introduced myself. I said i was Oca's daughter (he knew my dad) and i told him, "Sir, you're my idol. You're an inspiration to us Filipino designers." He said thank you and answered all my flattering words with "You're doing great job too in your company". I think, partly, he knew i was working for Artwork (our family business). Of course i blushed twice as red and then i said thanks. I mentioned right away our new store that we formed. When i mentioned the name, he said he goes there! My gosh!! He wears our 'other' brand!

After a few more seconds, after being so elated at what i have found out (that he knows our new brand), the awkward stage came. The time when conversation suddenly halts like an angel just interrupts. To break it, i tried asking silly questions about his new approach in design. But after three more seconds i felt i was not making sense so i just stopped and politely said i knew he was busy and that i just begged Patet that i be introduced to him finally.

And there we said our thank you's and goodbye's.

The next day we sent him a shirt from our new store. He thanked me through text saying he was actually wearing a shirt he recently bought from our store and that now he got a new one again. I kept his text message. Wanted to print it out and frame it. Gosh. Thank you Patet, for the wonderful time.


with my friend patet

here's kenneth

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi ate tinay!--didn't know you had a blog :3

Tinay said...

patet! you found me :)